Sunday, August 7, 2011

Power in Precision Project

So, I've decided to take on a new project! Beginning with the last week in July, I will be making one miniature for each week of the year for a year.

WHAT: miniatures, defined for the purpose of this project as 5 x 7 inches and smaller

HOW: any medium, any technique

WHEN: one work to represent each week (with the exception of the week between Christmas and New Year's, because, let's be honest, no work gets done that week.) The majority of the work will be done during the week which the artwork represents, though I will go back in and revise as necessary.

HOW MANY: one for each week (52) - the week after Christmas (-1), and allowing one week for emergencies (-1) = (52-1-1 = 50)

WHY: I love anything tiny - tiny paintings, houses, perfume samples, even travel size shampoo! I think that by reducing the size of the artwork, but maintaining the potency of the content, I may be able to make the ideas denser. Working small will hopefully enable me to produce one work a week, and therefore explore many ideas and techniques. At the end of the year, the 50 miniatures will act as an archive, documenting of my life and work from July 2011 - July 2012. And let's not forget the practical advantages to miniatures - the materials are relatively inexpensive and transportation and storage are more straightforward.

Here is the first attempt...


Miniature #1 - July 24 - 30th 2011, 3.5 x 2.5 in, oil on board