Sunday, February 19, 2012

mini 29 and Lucy Craft Laney show

Miniature #29 - February 13 - 19, 2012, 5 x 7 in, color pencil and gouache on wood
 Mini 29 is pretty exacting, even for me.  I spent three days on the preparation (gesso - sand - repeat), and then the drawing is made up of layers of hatching (How many? All I can say is - it's a good thing I don't get bored with repetitive tasks.)  I've noticed a pattern with the minis - the level of detail seems to vary inversely to the quantity of (non-directly-mini-related) things I'm supposed to be doing (i.e. the more urgently I'm supposed to be doing something else, the more precise a mini will be).  As for what that means... that's a question I'll have to give some more thought.

In related events, I have some wonderful news - as a member of the artist collective, Southern Observatory (http://www.southernobservatory.com/) I'm going to have a few works on display at the Lucy Craft Laney Museum in Augusta, GA from March 4th - March 31st (http://www.lucycraftlaneymuseum.com/ )!  Planning for the show has been in process for a while, but I've been too scared to mention it until now, because I didn't want to jinx anything.  This will be the first time I've had artwork in a museum, and I'm very excited (very)! I will keep you posted and hopefully will have some photos of the show to share as well.