Sunday, May 6, 2012

mini 40

Miniature #40 - April 30 - May 6, 2012,  7.75 x 4.75 in, ballpoint pen and acrylic on panel
Mini 40 bends the rules a little bit, because it's 7 and 3/4 inches tall, (the unfinished board was a piece of scrap that I got for free, and, really, who can argue with free?)  It's also 3/4 in thick, which was nice because it allowed me to finish the edges and drill a small hole in the back for hanging before working on the front (something I learned from 38 and 39).  I think bending the rules within an artwork is part of the fun, and one of the benefits of being responsible for it; but, I also see wanting to push against the parameters as a sign that the project has served its purpose, and it's time to wind it down and prepare to move on to something else.  Being conscious that I'm starting a sort of mental countdown with this one, I had a hard time getting it off the ground at first (a little ironic, that having a clear idea of what I wanted to do artistically, "para-art" worries cropped up.) Now that I'm on mini 40, I feel like the time has come to really seriously seek out a venue to display them.  On the one hand, I'm very introverted, so the marketing aspects of art are something that doesn't come easily to me.  On the other hand, I desperately want to see the mini's displayed all together, in all their tiny-goodness, at least once, before dispersing them piecemeal (so no pressure...haha).  I also got more rejection letters (yes, plural again, sadly).  Instead of thinking of it as evidence that my persistence in this field is irrational and defies any reasonable justification, I'm trying to look at it as Life, giving me the opportunity to practice Humility (thoroughly).  In any case - let the countdown begin: "10..."