Sunday, June 3, 2012

mini 44

Miniature #44 - May 28 - June 3, 2012, 5 x 5," mixed media on panel

a view of the lovely neon yellow edges 
It's been a busy week here in Tinyland.  I worked on a new layering technique with mini 43 using opaque and clear gessos as alternating isolating coats.  I'm not sure about the results - I think I need to give it some more thought and try again.  What I'm most excited about with mini 43 is the varnish layer (which, ironically, the better it is, the less visible to the viewer.)  Having the varnish layer turn out well on several pieces in a row now has made me incredibly happy. I think it's because I always want to be learning and improving, not just changing and rearranging content, and this seems to reaffirm my faith in the ever-present possibility of gaining more technical skills through practice (personally, I think Dr. Suzuki is partly to blame for this).

I also finished a couple (!) of full-scale works.  The first is the panel I was so excited about starting after mini 38.  The irony with this one is that it took me longer to prepare the panel than to paint the image (about 10 days and 7 days, respectively).  In the spirit of improving through practice though, I think that I learned a few things, and, hopefully, the preparation will go more smoothly next time.  I also finished (and named) the Gothic work I wrote about a few weeks ago.  I was nervous, but decided to go for it and put a final gloss varnish on it (and it turned out well - inspiration from the minis in action!) I actually finished this one so quickly, that I had to "take it away from myself," so that won't be tempted to meddle with it.

I've been referring to this one as "Neon" for now, 24 x 24," mixed media on panel, 2012
Is it me, or do I look a little like Michelangelo's David here?

Tempus Fugit, 20 x 40," mixed media on canvas, 2012