Thursday, July 26, 2012


Tempus Fugit: an art experiment in life improvement through time/space management

Goal: To create a new, coherent body of work of at least 20 pieces* which reflect my art-life principles.*of course there will be more work than that, but, (spoiler) one of the phases will involve editing. 
Hypothesis:  Happiness derives, in part, from aligning time/space expenditure with the object of  one's devotion. (Example, please...) Let's say that I commute an hour to work.  I don't like commuting, but I do it so that I can have a home with a yard for my offspring.  If I plant nice flowers in that yard and enjoy using it with my family, then my time expenditure matches my devotion to my family, and I can be happy with my commute time.  If I think of the yard as one more thing to take care of on the weekend, and no one really uses it anyway because the offspring really prefers video games anyway... then the space/time expenditure doesn't contribute to my devotion, and I'm unhappy.  
Question: 
Can I manage my time and space to match more closely with my devotion* (to art in my case - no minor dependents here)? *Definition of devotion for this experiment - some might say "love" (cough, cough... Levinas :) ), but I like devotion - not only is it slightly less cheesy, but love, to me, on it's own, can be either active or passive, where as devotion is a form of love which necessitates action. 
Structure: 10 phases, each corresponding to an art-life, time/space related principle.   Estimated time commitment - approximately 1 year, 2-6 weeks per phase. Documentation will occur at the outset of each phase, laying out the principle and goal, and at the conclusion, documenting the resulting artwork, evaluating success and/or failure and/or suggested modifications in adhering to the stated principle.
Methodology: If the ultimate goal is life-improvement through enactment of my devotion to art,  why is time/space management an appropriate approach?

Time and space management can be measured through quantifiable data whereas devotion is an action based on love, which is not concrete.  Therefore, the dedication of time and space will act as evidence which allowing one to deduce the presence of devotion, which is otherwise undocumentable.